Sunday, February 6, 2011

Said Harper Lee

"Now, 75 years later in an abundant society where people have laptops, cell phones, iPods, and minds like empty rooms, I still plod along with books. Instant information is not for me. I prefer to search library stacks because when I work to learn something, I remember it.
Can you imagine curling up in bed to read a computer? Weeping for Anna Karenina and being terrified by Hannibal Lecter, entering the heart of darkness with Mistah Kurtz, having Holden Caulfield ring you up--some things should happen on soft pages, not cold metal."


I so agree. 

3 comments:

  1. I have a religious reverence for books. To try to glean their offerings from "cold metal" is to attempt holy sacrament by the means of fast food. It may feed you- but only halfway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put. I totally agree, Claire. I had this exact debate with a friend claiming her ipad is ideal for books. I was trying to convey exactly what Ms. Lee argues so eloquently. It just isn't the same. And those goes for magazines too. I HATE online mags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree! I don't think I would enjoy an ebook as much as I enjoy paper ones. There is just something about them that makes me feel...something!

    ReplyDelete