Monday, March 21, 2011

Morning Moon Scraps

Monday Morning:
Rain,  a full-fledged disaster of a house to stumble across far too early to seem fair. The after effects of a long weekend sleepover with all the neighborhood kids tearing about these walls, tossing pillows and dumping toys; the wet weather trapping them (and me) indoors for 2 days straight. A pathetic attempt at clean up, 2 cups of coffee, followed by an online treat to my weary eyes -  a sweet poem sent by a dear friend. Inspiration for the start of a baby book I've been meaning to do for months now. Our 3rd boy happened to be born on the brightest, bluest moon in ages. A fact he should know (and retell) when he is 30. This unexpected poem proving the truest, very best fit to frame the fact of it. So begins the start of Rex's baby scrapbook, and all the joy in pulling little clippings and newborn footprints from an old linen box to fix just as nicely as his brother's books before him. The perfect rainy day endeavor. . .




The moon? It is a griffin's egg,
Hatching to-morrow night.
And how the little boys will watch
With shouting and delight
To see him break the shell and stretch
...And creep across the sky.
The boys will laugh. The little girls,
I fear, may hide and cry.
Yet gentle will the griffin be,
Most decorous and fat,
And walk up to the milky way
And lap it like a cat. -Vachel Lindsay





Thank you M.B. The house is still a frightful mess, but the baby now has the start of his very special one year book. xxo












8 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. You are one talented woman. I didn't even manage to fill out store bought baby books for either of my kids. I figure I'll put together photo books one day instead.

    I love the idea of a baby born under a big, blue moon. It sounds so magical and holy.

    Have a wonderful time with your project!
    XO,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is just so fab- I never quite managed a baby book for Holly (my youngest) but with Audrey (oldest) I did one - you put me to shame - on I go collecting tidbits for the little lady. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO sweet! I should really get on those baby books, ya know??? I love how you include the handwritten poems and thoughts, your sweet sketches and of course those lovely lil' men in your life! They are gonna really appreciate these!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the poem!
    your baby books are incredible! none of my children have one, so no one can feel left out ;D shoulda, coulda, woulda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet. Love those photos and I'm sure the book is adorable. Love your blog!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son will be so happy to have your beautiful handiwork to remind him of what he can't remember. A gift for the both of you. Something that you could read like a story book, when he's older. What a cool name too.I never had a baby book but I have one letter, my mother wrote to me when I was a toddler and it's one of my most beloved possessions. Thank you for sharing and thank you so much for your continued amazing comments on my log. I really appreciate them, even if they make me blush, I don't think I'm that articulate. Something I think we all struggle with. It's the good fight though.
    Happy Spring, bright sunlight, love and sprouting seeds,
    Milla

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's totally what I would do if I had a baby! I'd make a scrapbook too and collect all the memories! It's so nice if you can read it together one day!
    My Mum didn't male a scrapbook but she wrote things in one of these "Our Baby" books like when the first teeth came and all and I love to take a look at it from time to time because it's so full of love :)

    ReplyDelete