Monday, April 18, 2011

Said Joan Didion

"Although I have felt compelled to write things down since I was five years old, I doubt that my daughter ever will, for she is a singularly blessed and accepting child, delighted with life exactly as life presents itself to her, unafraid to go to sleep and unafraid to wake up. Keepers of private notebooks are a different breed altogether, lonely and resistant rearrangers of things, anxious malcontents, children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss." 
 Joan Didion

6 comments:

  1. How true this is. I must repost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Myra! I thought of you when I read this. There is pulled from a whole essay about those who keep notebooks. Dead on insights from Ms. D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to find the essay. What really struck me was the last bit "...children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss."
    I have this for sure. I suppose a lot of us in blogland do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well put, I actually ordered a journal from etsy today (ofcourse etsy...) and requested that the inside cover read "Not all those who wander are lost" I used to be so good at keeping journals but have fallen off the last 6 years or so. Here's to my journal comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I think that I'm somewhere trapped in between (which is how I usually always feel). Delighted with life, yet a lonely and resistant rearranger of things! :D Erick laughed about me jotting notes down in my dream journal just this morning. Don't think he knew that I kept one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which is all the more interesting because her daughter was adopted. Talk about permanent sense of loss. Or nature versus nurture. Have you read the year of magical thinking? I love Joan Didion.

    ReplyDelete