Friday, November 11, 2011

Joan

"I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. Why did the oil refineries around Carquinez Straits seem sinister to me in the summer of 1956? Why have the night lights in the bevatron burned in my mind for twenty years? What is going on in these pictures in my mind?"


- excerpt from Didion's Why I Write



My favorite lady wrote another book. Blue Nights. Which I fully intend to pick at some point during our rainy day romps around the city this weekend. 

7 comments:

  1. very cool! i sure like the way she writes. very different from most of what i read, in a good way of course. have you gone to her reading yet?

    hope you had a great b-day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl. You're speaking my language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love and hate miss Didion in turns. I love her style, but sometimes she leaves me so so cold inside. Still she is one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milla, yes, I know what you mean. She can be entirely bleak, and definitely cold, but I admire, more than anything, her sharp sensibilities about life in general. She understands time, regrets, the false offerings attached to beauty & youth, ect. And she seems stripped and honest in most everything I read.

    Anne, Haven't seen her yet. Turns out her reading is in April! How UCLA sales tickets a whole year in advance, I have no idea. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan Didion is a writer.
    An a great one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because of this post I am now on my 2nd Didion book. Im embarrassed to write that I hadnt heard of her before reading this last month. Sad, I know. Wanted to drop a quick thank you for sharing. Joan Didion is wonderful like no other.

    ReplyDelete