Monday, May 28, 2012

Scenes From a Weekend // A Desert Score

As long as I've known Mike he's had a rotation of old cars circulating our driveways. Cars that either sit in an ugly, debunked state too long for mine (and the neighbor's) liking, or that I fall in love with instantly and then he sells (The Clark Cortez, the 78 red Jeep?) Either way, we've all learned not to become too attached to these scores because eventually, they all go. 

The reason I was so bitter about having to drive to Palm Springs on a Friday during rush hour traffic this weekend to see this bus he came across on Craig's List that he swore would be an easy flip. A 72' Volkswagen camper bus nestled inside a tiny, surreal little mid century retirement community only the deep outskirts of the desert would keep. To my surprise, it was love, and it was instant. Something about a sun bleached old bus rolling along the highway that brings us back to a certain nostalgia for all things we know, or think we know and love about a 1970's California day dream. Cool, and free wheeling. Which is just what it feels like riding in it! 

I can't say how long we will have this one, or what his ultimate plans are, but for now we sure are enjoying eating our lunches in a parked bus at our drive way, as well as taking short drives to the park. All I'm hoping this time around, is that it sticks around long enough to make it to some beach bonfires, Right where it belongs. 


Xx
J

9 comments:

  1. Wow, are you sure you aren't getting your husband mized up with mine? :-) You've gotta keep it for at least the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing is awesome- hope you get to enjoy her for a while! My man has a soft spot for very worn cars too... but we don't have treasures like that on the east coast cause the road salt rusts them to death. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, keep it for the summer! make sure it ends up in pics from all your adventures! love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing find! It's a very rare day when I can say I have major car envy. Hope you can cruise around in it for as long as you desire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't think i really need to leave a comment on this. i'm feeling :D and :( at the same time ;D i better get a ride in that baby before it goes or i just might not ever talk to you again. and yes, i think i would just live in it until mike sells it. i'd yell from inside, "hey! can someone bring me some coffee!" hahaha the kids would be asking, "where's mom?" and ruben would say, "oh, she's out in the bus."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne - you definitely have dips on the first good long drive around the beach! I think you'd fit so perfectly. And if I had my way, it'd be parked in your drive way with a cup of warm coffee already brewing. I do love it (I think everyone loves an old beat up bus, right?) but it's just we don't have a need for two beachmobiles. Either way, we'll be sure and hang out together and snap some cute pics this little beauty this summer. Give it a good time before it exchanges drive ways again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY I always wanted me one of these - the sheer nostalgia!!
    enjoy the ride Jessica - I am enjoying just looking at it:)
    Happy weekend,
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah! The van of my dreams! Summer car for sure. If necessary take it on a long road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. could't love this more. your mike and my josh are two peas in a pod. xo

    ReplyDelete