Thursday, October 11, 2012

Funny how a three dollar pumpkin will lift your spirits. This week has been long one, with low points and somber moods. Particularly because of some sad news regarding beloved staff members at Arlo's school. In one week we've lost an extremely vibrant, outstanding principle (who was forced to resign suddenly due to rapidly ailing health issues) and then Arlo's chess teacher lost his wife unexpectedly on Monday night, leaving behind a very bright sweet six year old little girl whom Arlo constantly boasts to be the "nicest girl in class." These losses weigh on all of us. And naturally makes whatever minor irritations we have in our own lives feel rightfully trite in comparison.


In spite of low moods we decided to get out of the house yesterday and take a trip to Trader Joes to pick out our pumpkins. A simple lot with a surprisingly impressive mix and variety, all for 3 bucks. Arlo scoured the bins untill he found what he believed to be the "perfect pumpkin," Rex was quick to choose the weirdest, most misshapen one of the bunch and Leon, in typical Leon fashion, begged me to pick his, because apparently my opinion counts more than anything else.

Later we had dinner at home and watched the Charlie Brown pumpkin special - which I'm pretty sure I adore far more than any one of them. But, it's tradition.

As far as the lull in inspiration goes, I decided to stop over thinking things and simply post as I please. Easy as that.


In other news, it rained today. Making us think Fall is here to stay.
Finally.




Thanks again for your words of encouragement. I do quite appreciate it.

xx
J

11 comments:

  1. I'm so relieved that you're not disappearing on us! Your last post echoes a lot of what I've been feeling about blogging lately, but I truly feel inspired by you and your photography, stories, and links... so yay! I look forward to your more of your posts (even if they come less frequently!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren, I feel the same way about your posts.

      Delete
  2. that is so sad about arlo's chess teacher's wife! :( i will pray for the family. our neighbor's daughter (who is 11) is in line for a kidney transplant and the whole family is very scared as her death is a possibility. i just can't even imagine being a parent and having to deal with death of a child or spouse. "And naturally makes whatever minor irritations we have in our own lives feel rightfully trite in comparison."- i totally agree.

    as for the fall festivities, your pumpkin picking outing looks like fun. we have yet to get ours but i did make pumpkin bread yesterday. i've tried so many different recipes and think i might have finally found one worth making again :D oh yes, that sweater! it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so, so sorry to hear about this loss, and the principal's ailing condition. i cannot even begin to imagine life for that sweet little girl (and her father).

    as for posting (after my LONG comment) i will say- i agree. i meant every word i said, but when it all comes down to it, i do the same... post as i please. some wordy and thoughtful, others image-heavy... and others'- none of the above ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. so very sorry to hear about the sadness touching your life.

    your boys are so sweet picking those pumpkins! i'm itching to watch the great pumpkin soon, and i'm regretting discarding all the vintage plaid wool skirts i've owned in the past. you're lovely! positive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a sweet soul Marrissa! I'm so happy to have come across you on IG, and you and your blog are lovely too! xx

      Delete
  5. I really love your posts on IG and here. I find you very inspiring because you seem so real...and Your pics give me a taste of home ;)

    I get tired of blogs too that always seem like they have an agenda or marketing scheme. Thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali. I hope things appear genuine around here. Otherwise what's the point, right? We have enough propaganda pushed in our face everywhere else. Gets to feel so darn frustrating. Happy to hear others agree

      Delete
  6. Fall was here for a moment and then poof! just like that it seems to have given way to summer once again. It's crazy, a?! Glad you are no longer in blogging limbo. I totally get it. It's like you start blogging because you want to for this reason and that reason and then when you see other bloggers or photographers you find yourself in some weird competition mode and your life seems to become more of a set up than real. Social media is weird like that. My sister always says, "If you didn't read it on facebook, did it really happen?"... Anyway, it's all quite deep stuff. In the end, I tell myself I have to stay true to me and do what makes me happy. I really enjoy your photos and am glad you have decided to keep sharing.

    xo,
    Ashley @ The Stork & The Beanstalk

    PS. I hope one of my boys wants me to pick his pumpkin out too. That Leon, so so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "As far as the lull in inspiration goes, I decided to stop over thinking things and simply post as I please. Easy as that."

    I agree, and I think as a blogger, that's the only way to go! Glad you've come to this conclusion as well, I always enjoy your posts Jessica.

    I'm sorry to hear about these recent losses. So sad.

    You and the boys look so wonderfully Fall on this pumpkin outing, love your outfit by the way (I like your style, and it's always a treat when we get to catch a wee glimse of what you wear :) I also love how each of your boys personalities were apparent in their method of pumpkin selection, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Missa. I appreciate that because I genuinely like you (and your online persona) a lot. Speaking of which: I keep trying to reply on your blog but I can never get the codes right! It's a shame because usually I just move on after numerous attempts and then no comment is there to show.

      Anyway, the skirt is an old college find. Great classic piece but really itchy.

      Delete