Friday, January 4, 2013

Real Life


As far as resolutions go, I didn't go too crazy this year: Eat better, get out more, take some trips, read some books, and work as hard as I can to get that little kid's shop we've been daydreaming about for so many months now, off the ground and running. Little Folk Habit is close. And we are so excited about the fact of it. 

* Oh, and organization. Getting organized was somewhere at the top of that list. But then again, I am convinced it will be for as long as I life, so . . . 


As for the blog, I didn't put as much emphasis there. I figure, as long as this space makes me happy, and I  still enjoy posting stuff, then I probably shouldn't change much. Right? Especially considering adding "new features" always makes me feel a bit stuck, and slightly more dedicated than I might prefer. Although, it did occur to me (somewhere in the midst of those typical New Year reflections swimming around our heads this month) that it might be nice to add a dose of "real life" to this sweet corner of mine once in awhile. By that I mean a single snapshot, raw and untouched by careful styling or ideal lighting. 

Real life. Because it seems utterly neglected on these types of lifestyle blogs these days. And because as much as I - like everyone - enjoy keeping up a carefully curated blog, it's becoming a bit too polished for my liking, sometimes looking and sounding more ready for a television commercial (or sponsored post) than a simple comment or question from you. Parts of me long for something just a touch more authentic, something off the cuff and even downright cheesy (I'll take cheesy at this point, believe me) Our generation has obviously perfected the subtle propping involved in their everyday happenings - a gorgeous breakfast in a hip new cafe, an artful latte, a sunlit room with thriving ferns and glowing children, a pretty house and a gleaming partner. Pretty shoes in new found fall leaves. You know what I'm talking about. All good and pretty things. But sometimes, don't you just want laundry piled in the hallway, burnt toast, failed dinners, and fitful children with jelly smeared cheeks? I do. So I'm letting it happen here. Occasionally. For my own good, maybe.

So that in addition to the regular posts sharing recent "thrift picks" and scenes from semi-spectacular weekends, home projects, new shop listings, and kiddie party extravaganzas, look forward to all the outtakes that sat on the sidelines for far too long. "Real life" accounts shedding light on broken trikes, unfinished corners of our home, temper tantrums and the unpretty vices that happen to liven our days. Things we can all (if only secretly) relate to, instead of strictly refined posts working as thin divisions and only serve to make us feel a little less human after we've left. After all, nothing is ever as smooth or cool as appears on these blogs. I know that as a fact. 



To new, real beginnings. To life. And all the messes that it likes to make.

J

Real Life: Attempt #13 at snapping a cute holiday photo that ended in an abrupt hair pulling because one boy sat in what was believed to be, another boy's designated "spot."



19 comments:

  1. I was thinking the SAME thing! How everything is so perfect on all these blogs & why my everyday is not that way! Yay for Real Life! Happy New Year Jessica!! Hope to see you and those 3 crazy boys soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Thanks Jen. And happy happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Here here! You know I'm all about it. Carefully curated and beautiful and sparsely worded is all fine and good if that's one's style, and it's a fantasy, it's fun to escape to, but I always love it when real life intrudes for a moment. I could blather on about it endlessly, but I'll just say that if it's even possible, I'll enjoy your beautiful, light space even more with some hair pulling shots ;)

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am inspired by this notion! one of my main apprehension's in my upcoming blog launch is questioning if my life could ever be portrayed as perfectly artful as most of my favorite bloggers do. but these pretty blogs are all about showcasing life's positivity, as means of encouragement and recognizing that there is beauty to be found in life's messiness, as long as we're willing to see it. anyway, i would most certainly like to add a "real life" type section to my own so i don't feel like i am living in denial, or something! thanks for sharing your sweet life on house of habit, i enjoy checking in from time to time.
    teagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! Though I have never felt like your blog is staged in any way! You come across as authentic, and I enjoy every bit of it... especially that last photo. Man, can boys be aggressive or what? Happy New Year, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and happy new year to you Lauren!

      Delete
  5. Dude- I am with you. I love doing my blog, but I have total low blog self esteem, ESPECIALLY when it comes to pictures. I'm NOT good at taking them, I don't know shit about photoshop, and I am a slob. Trifecta of blog no nos. I wrote about it here http://www.sheriffpeanut.com/blog/?p=634 about how I KNOW lifestyle bloggers houses are not that clean all the time, and that there is probably a huge mess behind the camera, but it still makes me feel crappy about myself.
    The more 'real life' a blog is, the more attached to it I feel. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this! and i was actually just going to email you about an idea that fits perfectly with this;) xo and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, sounds intriguing Julia! I'll keep an eye out for your message :)

      xx
      J

      Delete
  7. I got yer cheesy right here, lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! My thoughts exactly! I've actually been thinking of this the last few months because I wanted to start blogging again, especially now that I'm expecting another little one, but I thought, well.. if I blog it needs to be perfect! And then I gave up and said screw it, ain't gonna happen with a wild 23 month boy running around! You see so much of that now in blogs and that's fine and dandy, but I'd also like to see the real life raw qualities to the author's life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Some flaws and quirks are always a breath of fresh air for me Sisillia. Even in blogland. I love those perfectly groomed and super hip sites just as much as the next girl, but sometimes you get to the point, where it's like: come ON! where DO these people find the time to keep every area of their life, so, Damn, PERFECT?!


      They don't. But sometimes we forget.

      Delete
  9. I like your honesty, probably why I like reading your blog. keep it up and keep it real.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy, how I love this "real life" sort of posting. I love it best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I would like to state that you definitely have customized a beautiful domain. And there is also one thing that I wanted to ask you. Do you consider the option to write in a professional way or online blogging is solely a?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your complements. In college I did consider trying to make a career of writing (fiction in particular) but didn't push hard enough. This blog here has been a nice little outlet for me in way of simple writing. I wish I could devout more time to it, but at this point, it seems unlikely.

      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. This way, we developed a stronger bond and he felt I
    was. Forestman: Fans of the Lego Castle theme will love finding
    this mini figure; there are so many uses for him and thankfully he come with a bow and arrow element and a quiver.

    Lego Creator Pet Shop is going to be great for stand-alone toy
    or combined with the other buildings from the same series.


    Feel free to visit my homepage - mdwaviation.com

    ReplyDelete