Little Things

"I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy. I don’t feel the way I’m supposed to feel. I just don’t understand Christmas, I guess. I like getting presents and sending Christmas cards, and decorating trees and all that, but I’m still not happy. I always end up feeling depressed.” 

Charlie Brown


We've been watching lots of Charlie Brown around here lately, and this particular statement really struck a chord. Hey, I've been feeling the same way, charlie . . .


So far our month has been far more chaotic than I was prepared for. Our house, lost in a cloud of sawdust and wood piles, a makeshift teepee factory stationed in our drive way for the past two weeks. Our neighbors - God bless them - have all been very understanding. I can only imagine what it looks like on the other end. To help ease our neighborly guilt we offer up unlimited supply of firewood from the scraps that accumulate in heaps, and they stop by to fill up their bins, have coffee and hang around Mike while he builds. For that, we are most grateful for.

In addition to the shop demands, our December is racked with the regular obligations that bind the month. Lots of family birthdays, parties, get togethers, parties of friend's and of course the school events. We're trying our hardest to keep up with it all, but it really is feeling quite exhausting.


A few things keeping my spirits up:

+ Our annual Christmas party happening this weekend. A kidless night celebrating the season with all of our very favorite people. Dear friends, some of which we only see on this one night, a date we look forward to all year long.

+ Treasures pictured above // little things I realize now, could pass as stocking stuffers for, myself?
Ceramic birds for a craft I had in mind, the prettiest brass bells I purchased from ironaworks on etsy. Vintage candle holders, and one miniature sized photo book I ordered by mistake but cherish it because of it's odd, tiny appeal.

+ THIS commercial for coke showing the perils of early parenthood. Spot on, right?

+ Jim Gaffigan's take on "4 Kids" - HILARIOUS.

+ The promise of a restful Christmas Eve with pizza and presents in the evening at moms and then our first Christmas day where we wont' be stuck driving in God awful traffic to great grandma's house on time. Instead, a turkey dinner late afternoon at Mike's parent's home (which is local, and kid friendly)

+ 3 weeks off of school for the boys. Plenty of time for a few picnics and afternoon outings we've been wanting to take. A trip to the desert it we're lucky.


Hope everybody else is hanging in there too.
Nine days now.
Nine and counting. . .