Sunday, May 4, 2014

Meet The Ma Books

Up now and doing a fine job at sucking up some of the anxious energy waiting on this baby. I suppose I was too quick to assume that because all of the boys were born between 35 and 38 weeks, this one would come somewhat early as well.

Not the case it seems, which I'm fine with, just itching to get out of the house during a sudden heatwave that sprung a few days ago. But we are here. Waiting. Home on strict orders not to stray too far seeing how quickly previous labors progressed.

These past couple of weeks having proved pretty rough. I ended up with a string of allergy induced headaches that had me in bed for a good part of a week, and, as expected, the house fell apart almost instantly. I lost sight of nearly everything on our regular schedule. The school registration for Leon, the share days for Rex, one second grade craft project and lots and lots and lots of laundry. Mike did what he could to clean up and keep any sense of order rolling, but it's just not the same. Peanut butter jar in weird places. Toys mixed in the wrong bins, and floors completely overlooked. What I did manage though was my weekly Dr's apt in which my OB seemed frightfully surprised by how big the baby had grown in the past week. "Whoa you ARE big!!" Were his exact words (ringing still, actually)
So in the midst of a stabbing headache, and a disastrous house, I then had this looming image of a giant baby growing all to comfortable, getting only bigger, heavier everyday.

Then two days ago I woke up feeling incredibly recharged.  The wind stopped and the headaches slipped away. I was quick to take advantage of it and pull things together in time for what I thought would be, impending labor. And yet here we are, five days from a marked due date, clean house, bored kids, big comfy baby and more television than any of us have known in years. In the midst of this new peaking energy (and suddenly more time at home than I'm really ever comfortable with) I figured it was a good time to share The Ma Books. A blog space I've been slowly cultivating over the past couple of months in my "spare" time. Drafting some of my own personal posts combined with outside contributions I've collected so far. It's a project I've been looking forward to so I'm hoping to keep it consistent by embracing plenty of random insights and not leaning too heavily on regular, dependable weekly features. All of which should be prove honest, and funny, and real and something I myself want in a community blog but have a hard time finding out there now. Also regular stuff you can expect like simple recipes, humerous tales about my own household, guest posts, and plenty of my friends and their children featured in short videos sharing whatever crafts or playdates we have any luck with. Parties and party ideas. Interviews. Home Tours, thrifty fashion posts and the occasional product highlight whenever we find something we really enjoy and feel might suit the audience at hand. All in all, I really just look forward to writing more seriously again. Connecting with new readers and creating a space that feels genuine in it's grasp of motherhood on the whole.



We'll have to see where it goes from here.

For now, I am off to bed. To wake up and wait out another day, in a hot house clinging to whatever random series we have remanning on our Netflix picks. And then, as soon as this babe is here, I imagine we will be napping on the beach again. Soaking up the perks of a warmer season as a new family of six*



In the meantime, thanks so much for listening.
Jessica





photo by Ashely Jennet 


*written late last night. Now we're more actually off to an annual Volkswagen show put on by one of our friends. It's close enough not to feel too risky and just what we need right about now. A couple hours of sun and a whole lot of pretty old cars to keep us company through lunch.

11 comments:

  1. Great post! Looking forward to the "Ma Books"! One of the many things that set you apart is - you are a writer, a very good writer. I think you are on to something here and it's very good timing - boy, have some of these other blogs gone down hill, I hear people say this all the time. I do think having sponsors is fine and you will be able to handle this the right way, I am sure.

    Blessing on the birth of your new little one - such a precious time now for you. And the husband cleaning thing...they try...but no, its not the same!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and all I meant by "handle the sponsors the right way" is - finding a balance there, which I think can easily be done. You do not come across as someone who would let blogger celebrity/popularity go to your head - I don't think this is what sponsors want or need anyway! Keeping it real and relatable, this is I think, what younger women want and respond too and you are very good at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I agree about the quality of so many blogs going downhill over the past couple of years. It's honestly one of the biggest reasons I decided to invest in this new forum in the first place. I use to enjoy reading quite a few but they quickly became as stale as the mainstream catalogues I toss in the trash on a regular basis. It's such a shame because a few of them I really use to look forward to reading. Now it's ONLY about sponsors and pimping out overpriced crap. An instant turn off for me, because, like you say - I don't have an issue with product posts so much as long as they seem valid or possibly beneficial to the audience reading. I like finding new cool toys and things just as much as anybody. However, when the writing (which is main basis for connection) and tone come last, I loose interest immediately. In other words, I want to believe that the person writing the blog is someone who genuinely cares about me as a reader and therefore feels somewhat responsible for keeping up certain levels of respect for the audience at hand. And I too think it can be done on a more balanced level. It's hard, for sure, but hopefully intuition serves as an anchor for what feels right for the space you wish to keep here on these sites. I tend to always lean on intuition so let's hope it works in regards to this new endeavor too. Also, thank you for your comments. Very nice to read new thoughts on this blog.

      Delete
  3. you are a dream! can't wait to read up on the new blog :) '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Josie! Looking forward to having you.

      Delete
  4. Yay! It's so great to hear about your new blog. I am excited to follow alone. Wishing you well on your birth and sending goodness your way.

    xo- Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing is so refreshing, and real. Thanks for this! I look forward to the "Ma Books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job Jessica! From the first minute I read that interview with Paige and Kennedy, I knew this was going to be a great forum for women. What a refreshing and honest look at motherhood, right from the get-go. The part where she admits that she doesn't pay for babysiting! I couldn't help but giggle! That is true, unabashed motherhood for you! I loved it. It felt familiar and honest. I wish you the best. I am so looking forward to reading the different stories and dynamics from these amazing women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also loved reading the the first few posts, bravo! I have a whole new respect for your blog and your new endeavor, as I just finally started a blog (something I've been meaning to do forever). It's been so hard for me to find my voice, choose what I want to share, and know what is of interest to others. For now I am just doing whatever pops up and figure it will find shape eventually. Thanks for the inspiration, I love the honesty of your so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this image--it has so much story and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited about this new adventure for you! yay!!
    Cassaundra Hull

    ReplyDelete